Miguel Santos is one of the main protagonists of Maya & Miguel and is the smart, caring, older twin brother of Maya. Unlike his sister, he is very logical, although is often dragged into his sister's schemes reluctantly, although sometimes wants to help her. His best friends are Andy and Theo. He is Hispanic-American, as his mother Rosa is from Mexico and his father Santiago is from Puerto Rico.
Miguel is fun but also has a serious side. He helps Maya often when she is in trouble and has a very good attitude for working. He has a knack for drawing. It’s said that he can draw his sister's face from his brain. He is also excellent at various sports such as basketball, soccer, and baseball.
He also seems to like Kylie and often hints that they both like each other
Miguel has a tan complexion, brown spiky hair, and brown eyes. He usually wears a collared light-blue button shirt, blue cargo pants, and dark red and white sneakers.
Sometimes he can be seen wearing a Soccer Uniform when he plays soccer. The uniform has actually changed colors throughout the shows seasons and episodes. At first, it was a Purple-Yellow uniform then it changed to a red and yellow uniform. It is unlikely that they are the home and away uniforms as in one episode he is seen wearing a Red and Yellow uniform at tryouts for a big-league travel team.
- In the first season's title sequence, there's an instance where Miguel's shoe glows, the way Maya's hairband glows whenever she gets an idea.
- Miguel means Michael and Santos mean Saints in Spanish.
- Miguel has a crush on a girl from his school named Kylie, she has similar feelings for Miguel.
- Inside Miguel's Closet, he has the same style of collared shirts, the only noticeable thing is that they are different colors from the standard light blue to orange and to light green.
- Sometimes Miguel agrees with Maya's ideas although the outcome is always the same and something goes wrong.
- It should be noted that while Miguel is usually more sensible than Maya he has taken things too far, notably when he let the "Be Cool" thing get to his head in "I've got to be Miguel".
- Miguel's two best friends are Andy and Theo. In theory, Maggie and Chrissy are friends as well (although they are really Maya's) Miguel (and Andy, Theo) are never seen being extensively rude or mean to them and usually incorporate them into games and vice versa. It's likely that Miguel, Andy, Theo, Maya, Maggie, Chrissy are all just one big friend group.
- Miguel is in a band with Andy and Theo.
- Miguel usually gets a cramp in his stomach when Maya says "Eso es!" and he can be heard saying this in some episodes.
- His voice on the PBS and Scholastic websites is different than the voice on the show.
- Miguel seems to have more doubts about things than Maya, this is due to his more sensible side however this can also be a disadvantage if he needs to get something done. Usually, Maya will encourage and continue to push him however until the job is completed.
- Miguel likes to read and draw comic books.
- Miguel is a good artist, he can be seen sketching on a sketchpad or on a canvas.
- Miguel is good at playing the drums and even has a set in his room.
- Main article: Miguel Santos/Gallery